Saturday, 7 February 2015

Detail added to walls

I did decide to go ahead and add the detail to the walls.  I used the tip from Sophia's friend Bill to cut my pieces of decorative strip wood. My cutting mat already had the crosses for my angles which simplified cutting my corners. Sophia's tip is here....
http://smalltalk-minilover.blogspot.ca/2013/07/whitledge-burgess-kitchen-class-starts.html
Cutting the proper angle is easy

Duplicating shorter pieces

Duplicating longer pieces

Covering up the gaps!
For the longer pieces of trim, I turned the box on its side and used the weight of some heavy batteries to hold the pieces in place while the glue dried.
Long pieces held in place to dry
I touched up the corners with a tiny bit of stain on the upper crown as well as the trim pieces on the walls and under the shelving.
Stain touch up
I am rather pleased with the results - lighting next!
Just needs some lights!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,
    You should be pleased! Great work...it looks fabulous :)

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really looks great! Your miter corners are perfect also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Martha,
    It looks fantastic! The room is very well made and looks so realistic.
    Bravo! I can't wait to see more.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martha! I LOVE the ease of making the correct 45 degree angle cuts with the aid of the guide lines on the cutting mat. It had me looking at my own mat and I discovered that the lines are on it too!!! I had never actually looked before, duh....
    Anyway, having said that, I have to compliment you on the Beauty of your nearly finished shelves. The wood stain is even and rich in color and the room looks like it is going to be warm and elegant. I am looking forward to seeing how it all develops.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martha! nice to meet you :-) your blog is very interesting.

    Magda

    ReplyDelete