Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Lessons Learned Again!!

I found some time to work on my wood panelled shop over the holidays.  I had left too much time in between a few key steps while assembling this miniature box. As a result, I discovered that my veneer had come loose in a few places.  Perhaps it was my spray glue but I believe that applying the walls in the humid summer and then coming back to it in the middle of a Canadian winter was not great!!! I was able to fix the walls by injecting glue with my glue syringe and clamping firmly to salvage my walls. 
I did a trial run of my shelving units before staining the wood.  The other lesson that I learned was that I should have stained and varnished my required strip wood at the same time as it took awhile to replicate a matching stain even though I had written down my proportions.  I think the maple veneer and the basswood stripwood absorbed it a little differently so the colour was off until I finally got it right! 
More to come.....
Assembled walls - trial run on shelving
Veneer coming loose
Mixing stains again

Strip wood to be stained

Stained and varnished
Final configuration for shelving before staining

8 comments:

  1. Hi, so frustrating when the different woods stain in a slightly different colour and glues do not stay fixed! However you are making progress and soon you will be doing the fun part .... Decorating! A Canadian winter is a great time to work on projects. Have fun.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine,
      I was terribly frustrated and should have done it all at the same time!
      Martha

      Delete
  2. Hello Martha,
    I'm happy you were able to fix the panels and get the stain right. It is looking lovely and I can't wait to see it finished.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giac,
      As you know, it seems like it will never be finished but can't wait to fill it!
      Hugs,
      Martha

      Delete
  3. Hi Martha,

    So glad that you have solved the problem of the wobbly walls and wonky floor…I am looking forward to seeing the roombox progress.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Just a tad frustrating....
      Martha

      Delete
  4. Hi Martha! I know how irritating it is to have to take a step backwards prior to moving on to the next project, but at least you were able to attend to the loose and warping wood BEFORE you got the shelves installed. AND... I think it is very clever of you to have written down the recipe for the woodstain in the first place, as it gave you a good place to start from, even if you had to Tweak the formula here and there because of the differing woods

    elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,
      My biggest problem was that I left far too much time in between working on this project! But, it is finally coming together nicely.
      Martha

      Delete