Monday, 16 February 2015

Lighting - getting started!

I have decided to use a combination of miniature lighting items as well as LED strips from the hardware store.
My lights are going to be relatively simple with two chandeliers a  lamp for the desk and then hidden strip LEDs to light the cabinets and the rest of the room.  These would be great for anyone lighting those rooms that you have a glimpse of but cannot see inside the whole room.
I have chosen a beautiful lamp for the desk from my good friend Raymond Storey.  He did a limited run of lights with this beautiful finish and I think this will work nicely on the desk.  His amazing glass that he blows himself enhances all of his lights making them quite unique. www.raystoreylighting.com
I drilled a hole through the floor and used my dremel to make a channel for the wire underneath.  The wire comes back up underneath and behind the panelling in the corner of the box.  I will use a permanent brown marker to colour the white wire so that it "disappears."
I am also using two chandeliers from the Getzans.  I think they will enhance the box as it is meant to be rather formal.
The LEDs are ones that I found recently and they will provide a great deal of light for the shelving at the back of the box.  The LEDs come with a little battery pack so that you can light them up and see how they work. They plug into the power cord that comes in the package.   They will definitely work well in this box.




Saturday, 7 February 2015

Detail added to walls

I did decide to go ahead and add the detail to the walls.  I used the tip from Sophia's friend Bill to cut my pieces of decorative strip wood. My cutting mat already had the crosses for my angles which simplified cutting my corners. Sophia's tip is here....
http://smalltalk-minilover.blogspot.ca/2013/07/whitledge-burgess-kitchen-class-starts.html
Cutting the proper angle is easy

Duplicating shorter pieces

Duplicating longer pieces

Covering up the gaps!
For the longer pieces of trim, I turned the box on its side and used the weight of some heavy batteries to hold the pieces in place while the glue dried.
Long pieces held in place to dry
I touched up the corners with a tiny bit of stain on the upper crown as well as the trim pieces on the walls and under the shelving.
Stain touch up
I am rather pleased with the results - lighting next!
Just needs some lights!



Friday, 23 January 2015

Stripwood Applied, Shelves Assembled

The shop is taking shape now with the addition of the stained and varnished strip wood.
I had a few difficulties with the wood shrinking over the time lapse from the summer.  I managed to cover the corners with trim pieces so it ended up working out well.
I have made my ceiling so that it will screw on and off easily if necessary. It makes working inside that much easier.   I did not attach the ceiling crown moulding to the ceiling but to the wall instead. 
I have cut some pieces of strip wood and inserted them under one shelf.  I am trying to decide if I want to add more detail below each shelf unit or leave them relatively plain.
I am almost ready to electrify this room - more to come......
Not quite finished!
Lighting will be added above shelves

Gap in corner from wood shrinking

Corner pieces

Room box flipped upside down to add crown moulding

Needs stain touch up in corner
Possibly adding more wood details?

Taking Shape!

Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Lessons Learned Again!!

I found some time to work on my wood panelled shop over the holidays.  I had left too much time in between a few key steps while assembling this miniature box. As a result, I discovered that my veneer had come loose in a few places.  Perhaps it was my spray glue but I believe that applying the walls in the humid summer and then coming back to it in the middle of a Canadian winter was not great!!! I was able to fix the walls by injecting glue with my glue syringe and clamping firmly to salvage my walls. 
I did a trial run of my shelving units before staining the wood.  The other lesson that I learned was that I should have stained and varnished my required strip wood at the same time as it took awhile to replicate a matching stain even though I had written down my proportions.  I think the maple veneer and the basswood stripwood absorbed it a little differently so the colour was off until I finally got it right! 
More to come.....
Assembled walls - trial run on shelving
Veneer coming loose
Mixing stains again

Strip wood to be stained

Stained and varnished
Final configuration for shelving before staining