Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Shop Shelving and Assembly

I managed to spend some time in the past few months on a kit that I have had for awhile.  Shops are an easy way to showcase a collection of themed miniatures.  In this case, I am going to fill it with miniature china.


The floor veneer pieces are a pleasure to use and come from Graham Simpkin in the UK.  His website is http://www.dollhouse-miniatures.co.uk/ and you will find a great range of flooring items. I just glue them down, give them a light sanding and three coats of spray varnish.

Veneer square for flooring

I have taken a number of classes over the years and learned some techniques that made this shop easy to put together.  I have always enjoyed my classes with Ray Whitledge and in one specific class, he demonstrated how to use his table saw.  I have experimented with my own saw for awhile now and have used it for a few of my projects to build shelves. As this room box is not large, I wanted shelving all across the back wall.  I painted them with a gloss marine oil paint which gives a lovely shiny finish.
Shelves cut and ready for assembly


Sliding table which I modified to fit my saw protects my fingers!

Cutting my shelf grooves

Vacuum attached helps with sawdust mess!

Shelving with spacers


I have made a wood shelf to match the flooring and the back wood shelf pieces. 

I am close to completing this project so hope to show you it filled shortly.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like the built-in shelving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was quite pleased with how the shelves turned out! The gloss paint brightens up the shelving too.
      Martha

      Delete
  2. Votre parquet est superbe!!
    Le système sur votre scie est ingénieux et je vais en fabriquer un aussi ,j'ai tellement peur pour mes doigts!!!
    A bientôt!
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabelle,
      Thank you for your comments. The parquet flooring is very easy to work with in miniature.
      Merci,
      Martha

      Delete
  3. Hello Martha,
    How great to see a new post on your blog. I am loving the colors and the flooring of your shop. It is already beautiful. The floor is also very beautiful and your finish is terrific. I can't wait to see the shop complete...I am in awe of your collection of miniature china!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giac,
      This was an easy project to do! The most fun is filling it!
      Hugs,
      Martha

      Delete
  4. Hi Martha,

    Your shop is going to be a splendid showcase for your collection. Lovely work!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Most fun is filling it! See you Sunday!
      Martha

      Delete