Sunday, 20 July 2014

Needlework Frame

Summer seems to be the time when I find the odd moment to pick up my needlework. I learned to stitch from my mother and some of her needlework pieces are amongst my most treasured possessions. The effort and meticulous stitches in each piece represent hours of her time. 
I am stitching this carpet now for a second time for my blue bedroom in my dollhouse. I stitched it previously in pink but have yet to finish the edges and add the fringe as I changed direction in that particular room. Time wasted? Perhaps, but maybe someday I will use it for another project.
Catherine (Kilmouskie and Me http://kilmouskiandme.blogspot.ca/2014/07/what-luck-its-perfect-fit_6.html- ) recently showed us her beautiful frame that her grandmother had used for stitching. When I started stitching miniature carpets, I did not have a frame like hers and so my husband suggested that he could make one for me.  Over the years, he has made me a number of different sizes so that my various canvases fit the frame.  I bind the edges with masking tape and staple the canvas to the wood.  Occasionally, I stretch it as I work and staple it again a little tighter.  When the project is complete, it does not need much in the way of blocking.
I have often worked from counted charts which I simply clip to the frame.
Hopefully, I will be able to show you this one in place when it is finished with edges bound and a fringe!



4 comments:

  1. Hello Martha,
    Your workmanship is beautiful. the pink carp[et is gorgeous and the new one will be just as great, I know. You make your mom proud.
    big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martha,

    Lovely needlework!! Such a delicate pattern and beautifully worked! The frame looks perfect for the job. It is great to have handy husbands, isn't it ? :-)

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks wonderful, I like the grey colour a lot, but you've done the pink one beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! your needlework is beautiful,
    Magda

    ReplyDelete