Sunday, 26 January 2014

Hanging Valances with Velcro

When my friend made the suggestion to hang draperies with Velcro, I decided that it would work just as well with valances.  My window in this room in my dollhouse is not centred on the exterior wall which was frustrating for me.  I was able to position the valance to give the "appearance" of the window being in the centre.
I made the valance from a piece of illustration board, some scrap pieces of strip wood, a padding layer and some silk.  I wanted a rather plain valance in the dining room but I may trim it yet with some decorative trim.  I am going to live with it for a bit first.  As it is just put up with Velcro, it will come off easily when (and if) I decide to embellish it.  
The valance can be seen from the front of my dollhouse so I made sure that the illustration board was covered with my silk where it is visible through the window.
Valance - attached to the wall with Velcro


Finished valance

Velcro tape on valance
Velcro tape on walls
Velcro tape on walls


Valance and draperies secured with velcro

10 comments:

  1. I applaud your wisdom in using the valance to visually centre your window. I know the frustrations when something is just a little bit off. You see it and it spoils the enjoyment for you. Using the silk covered valance to correct the balance beautifies the window and showcases your drapes. Well done!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth,
      My windows are not centred in four of my rooms in my dollhouse! The windows look beautifully balanced from the exterior! I have used the curtains to "centre" them in two of the rooms and am content with them not in the centre of the two other rooms.
      Thanks for taking the time to comment,
      Martha

      Delete
  2. Hello Martha,
    I am glad you were able to use the curtains and valance to center the window in the room. The Velcro idea is a really good one. It is so hard to decide on the right fabrics some time and this permits one to live with it for a while and change it easily. Well done! Do you use any particular Velcro?
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac
      It really was a great idea and the drapes and valances are easily fiddled with and come on and off easily. Not sure which brand of Velcro this one is but I bought it at Michaels and both sides are tape so do not even have to sew it on with this brand!
      Looking forward to a visit,
      Martha

      Delete
  3. it turned out wonderflly, thank you for sharing how you did it :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Marisa,
      Thanks for taking the time to comment,
      Martha

      Delete
  4. I cant believe how quick and simple your method is! I have decided to use it in a few of my houses. Did you also make the one on the bottom? The design is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandmommy,
      I did make up the valance in the bottom photo but the design is not my own. It is illustration board, strip wood with padding as well.
      Thanks for taking the time to comment,
      Martha

      Delete
  5. Beautiful drapes, well done! I might have to "steal" (or maybe just borrow) your idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha,

    I posted yesterday but it doesn't seem to have made it up into the ether! I think the gremlins ate it :->

    I think the Velcro idea is just brilliant :-) Thanks for sharing this wonderful tip and the great pics.

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete