Saturday, 15 June 2013

My Peacock Chair!

I have managed to complete one more item for my bed sitting room.  I wanted a chair for this box and have yet to decide which room it will go in but thought I would share my refinishing and reupholstering of it.
I started with a chair that I found online but did not love the colour of the finish for my project.  After I took it apart, I decided that I would paint it before reupholstering so I used some paint and then applied Liquitex matt varnish to give it a nicer finish.
I have found that these chairs have been reasonably easy to take apart.  You have to be very careful and take your time cutting through the glue to remove the fabric pieces.  Depending on the project, I do leave some of the glue and in this case it helped to hold the chair together.  If it is going to affect the piece going back together, I try to carefully remove as much of the old glue as possible.
Original chair and my finished chair

I decided what colours would look best with the fabric that I had used for carpeting and the pieces of fabric left over from making the draperies in a previous post.  The peacock fabric is one of Susan Bembridge's designs in silk and as it was rather expensive, I did not want to waste any of it!   This chair was the perfect size for utilizing the two left over strips of fabric.
Choosing paint

Carpet swatch

I decided that a soft beige colour would work well so after trying a few different colours, I settled on one that I thought worked well with the room finishes.
Very carefully lift edges to start

Very carefully, working slowly, I disassembled the chair taking care to remove each piece intact as I wanted to upholster over the white fabric that was on this chair.  If there had been a pattern in a bold colour, I might have done it a little differently - cutting new templates and padding it with foam. 
Placement of pieces on fabric - not much room for error

Centred peacock on back piece
As you can see, I had just enough fabric so thankfully I did not have any mistakes with this project!
I am very fussy about lining up patterns, stripes, etc and this fabric was no different as I wanted to place the peacocks strategically on the chair.  As you can see, I centered the peacock on the back panel.

Lots of glue to secure fabric

Be very careful not to get glue on front!!!

Ready to reassemble
I tend to use a fair amount of glue when I do these projects so that the fabric holds in place.  Sometimes, I hold the piece in my hand when working so that my pattern stays in place where I want it to be positioned.
Again, lots of glue!

Clamping in place

I carefully put the chair back together usually in the order that I took it apart.  I hold it with clamps until the glue sets and then fluff up the fabric afterwards.
My placement of the peacocks was important to me
I was quite happy with the result.
I will continue to follow everyone's blogs but will not post myself again until September! I hope everyone has a wonderful summer!

Saturday, 8 June 2013

French Knot Rugs

As summer approaches, I know that I will not put up many posts on this blog.  That being said, I do tend to find time to work on my "numerous" projects."  I have so many on the go in various stages of completion that I am now endeavouring to finish a few!
If some of you do not know of Teresa's wonderful French knot rug kits and are looking for some rugs to make for your dollhouse - have a look at Teresa's site.
I have started two - one for my cottage project and perhaps the English Garden rug for that country flower shop box that is on my "to Do" list.
The kits come with the floss and fabulous directions and all you need to master is a French knot which Teresa shows both on her site and in the directions.  These are easily customized by simply changing a few colours of floss or the background colour of a kit to suit your own mini project.
This post was prompted partially by my post on my collecting blog about miniature needlework kits for the dollhouse!
My cottage carpet
English Garden - just started

Floss, Colour Picture and Directions Included!

Monday, 3 June 2013

Scent Sample Bottle to Lamp!

Just a quick post for those with miniature scent sample bottles......
I purchased this lamp kit a number of years ago. I believe that they are readily available.  I always thought that I would find the perfect base to use with the kit.  It came in the form of a miniature scent sample bottle.  The size was absolutely perfect and the bottle was lovely to make a more formal lamp.
I will have to cover the shade once I determine my final colour scheme for that particular room.  I have covered other plastic lamp shades with success and have added those photos for you to see as well.
And, a final note and progress on my bed sitting room.  I have never been a fan of chandeliers in bedrooms.  So, I asked Raymond Storey to make me a hand blown ceiling light.  I have just attached it temporarily and shone a bright light through to light it up.  I think it will be perfect!

Finished lamp
Bottle waiting to be made into matching pair
Lamp Kit

Covered shade

Covered shade
Raymond Storey ceiling light