Thursday, 14 March 2013

Weathering Copper - Naturally!

One of the many projects listed in one of my first posts is my conservatory.  This project seems to be one of those that I start working on and then leave for a bit.  I wanted a weathered copper roof for this structure. 
I cut the pieces from a sheet of copper and then tried various methods of "weathering" it after searching online for various ideas to try.   I tried all sorts of things which did not give me the effect that I was trying to achieve.   So, knowing that it would be awhile before I would get back to work on this project, I decided to leave it outside for the winter.  It has turned from a beautifully shiney copper to this darkened "weathered" look.
So, anyone that is not in a hurry - it works!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,

    What a good idea to recruit Mother Nature and Father Time! Between them, they did a great job weathering your copper. I am looking forward to seeing it installed.

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to get an authentic look.

    F ix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Martha,
    I have been trying to think of ways to age copper but never thought of this. It looks perfect! thank you for the tip! I cqannot wait to see it go on!
    Big hug, and see you soon,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well who does it better than God anyway!???? I am delighted with the way the copper has turned out for you. And how sensible to leave the discoloring to the elements knowing that you wouldn't have the time to get to it soon anyway. Good idea!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete