Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Punch Needle Carpets

Russian punchneedle embroidery is an easy way to make custom carpets for the dollhouse.  Punchneedle is not like traditional embroidery as it is worked on the back side of the finished piece. The loops created with the needle produce a plush design on the underside which becomes the front. Using a single strand of embroidery floss with the needle on a piece of cotton, one can create lovely patterned carpets that will coordinate with your setting.
I purchased a couple of designs from Joan Grimord. I cannot seem to find the proper link to her site at the moment but will add it as soon as I find it for those that are interested in her designs.  Joan provides instructions, a colour chart and a design printed on cotton.  I used my own colourway to compliment some fabric that I purchased from Susan Bembridge for my Chanel Suite roombox.  I am also stitching the same carpet in another colourway because I love the trellis design!  And, I have different design on the go in blues for my large dollhouse.
Punchneedles are available through this website ww.bernadinesneedleart.com/punchneedle/tools.asp for anyone that simply needs the needle.
Punchneedle is so easy to do for anyone that has never tried it.  It is an easy up and down motion with the needle and works up quite quickly!
Finished Carpet
Worked On "Wrong" Side Of Design

Loops Are Created On "Right" Side
Punch Needle

Easily Threaded

Step Two Threading Punchneedle
My Colour Card Of Embroidery Floss
Stitching With Punch Needle


 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,

    Thanks for posting this with such great pics! I have the needle, just never have got around to trying it…I might now ;-)
    I really like the colours that you used on the carpet, they are so delicate.

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      I will look forward to see your carpet!
      Martha

      Delete
  2. Hello Martha,
    I cannot weait to try this! It is so hard to find the perfect carpet with just the right colors. The finished carpet looks wonderful and incredibly realistic...thank God you started a blog!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giac,
      Definitely worth trying - it really is easy!
      Hugs to you,
      Martha

      Delete
  3. Hi Martha,
    I just found your blog and am enjoying it so much. I too bought a punchneedle kit from Joan Grimoard, though mine wasn't nearly as large! Here's the link to her Etsy shop,though it doesn't look like she has any rug kits for sale at the moment:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/miniaturesbyjoan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliza,
      I am pleased that you are enjoying the blog. Thanks for the link. For some reason, I can not bring up the original site with her carpets. I will keep trying,
      Martha

      Delete
  4. Martha, I think you have talked me into trying this technique. It looks more do-able than tiny needlepoint--and the big advantage for me is that the design comes printed on the canvas. I am incapable of counting!

    Thanks, Eliza, for the link! I am going to email Joan now.

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia,
      No counting - it really is quite easy! I will look forward to seeing a carpet!
      Martha

      Delete
  5. Your rugs look beautiful! I just started my own rug last night! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - amazing work. How beautiful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete