Friday, 18 January 2013

Miniature House Keeping

How often do you dust your dollhouse?
My large dollhouse is completely open at the back and consequently it accumulates dust easily.  I do not clean it as often as I should because it is not an easy task.   As everyone knows, taking all of the miniature items in and out of a setting is time consuming.
I am curious how often others clean their dollhouses?  Or, how often they polish their miniature silver?  In my case, the silver needed a good cleaning.
I often cover the front of my open roomboxes with a drop sheet of plastic.  It does make sense to add a frame and glass to the front of a box but I have always liked them open - therefore the need to dust more often!  I have an attachment for my full scale vacuum cleaner which is a great help.  And, I clean my silver with a baby toothbrush and silver polish. Anyone have any tips on this light house keeping chore?
 
Vacuuming
Attachments for my central vac hose
Cotton swabs for door frames
Accumulated dust
In need of polish
It looks so much better when it sparkles
Don Henry Griffin Centrepiece

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,

    My miniature homes get a good Spring and Fall cleaning and always get an extra dust before we have visitors:-)

    I use my old artists' brushes to dust the furniture (sable and squirrel) and find make-up sponges (the triangular jobbies and the small applicator types) excellent for flooring, mouldings and carpets…they pick up dust very and conform to the crevices. Washed in soapy water and air dried, they can be reused until they become truly grubby :-}

    All this reminds me, it's been a while since I "flicked a duster about"…

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Miniature feather dusters?? Do you make them?
      Martha

      Delete
    2. Hi Martha,

      Well…maybe :->

      Cheers,
      Julie

      Delete
  2. Hello Martha,
    I have to say I have not crossed that bridge with Dewell Manor yet. My foxhall was front access only as I closed up the back and I did not have silver pieces or higher end minis at the time. I usually cleaned it once a year with a vaccum cleaner and I used white cotton cloves to dust furniture...kind of like dustin. when the Manor is complete, I don't even want to think how long it will take me to clean it and amy collection...I'm scared!
    Big hug Martha,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac,
      It is worth the time to care for these beautiful pieces we are all collecting! BUT, it is time consuming once you start!
      Talk soon,
      Martha

      Delete
  3. Too funny but too true! I love your central vac attachments - where did you get those?

    While I'm working on my current house, I find that a 2" paint brush works nicely to remove the sanding remains that end up on the floors. I daresay I sorely need to dust other houses and now really wish I'd done plexiglass covers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,
      Not a task that I enjoy doing often but the vacuum attachements are handy! I got them from Micro-Mark.
      http://www.micromark.com/miniature-vacuum-kit,7651.html
      Martha

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Martha - ordering now!
      Heidi

      Delete
  4. LOL, Martha--not often enough! And I seem to realize the amount of dust only when I take photos.

    Thanks for the info on where to buy the vacuum. I had heard about this item but never really investigated it. Now I will.

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete