Thursday, 3 January 2013

Christmas Stockings

Happy New Year!
I made a resolution over the holidays (yet again) to attempt to finish some of my miniature projects that I have on the go in various stages of completion. With the holidays in mind, I pulled out some of my miniature needlepoint stockings that I have never finished.  They are from kits from www.micro-stitchery.com  and worked on 48 count silk gauze.  The partridge in the pear tree had numerous shades of beige and took quite awhile to complete!
The truth is, I am nervous about finishing them.  The directions suggest fray check ( a fabric glue) and then cut all around the needlepoint and sew it to a ultrasuede type fabric.  This is where I am hoping for some suggestions from fellow bloggers.  I am worried that the glue will discolour the needlework over time.  I would appreciate any and all advice!
Next December, I hope to show you the completed stockings in place with my miniature stocking holders over my dollhouse fireplace!
Dollhouse Stocking

Partridge In a Pear Tree

Santa With His Sack Of Toys

Santa Face

Christmas Tree

Ready To Assemble



9 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,

    I love these stockings! You have done a wonderful job :-) I wish that I could answer your question but, I am not a needlewoman and more of a gluer than a sewer, so I have little to offer in advice.

    However, I have tried to use FrayCheck in the past and found it needs to be applied with great caution as it is extremely runny.

    Sorry not to be of more help…
    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      I may stitch a small square sample and try it with the Fray check first - I am just nervous about cutting around the stockings and all that work! I have finished other needlework before with a binding stitch but never this tiny!

      Delete
  2. Your stockings are lovely. I am not a needlewoman but Casey from Casey's Minis is an expert on needlework. Somewhere on her site, she has instructions on how to finish a piece of needlework. Perhaps you could have a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucille,
      I have just joined Casey's blog but did not locate the finishing instructions. I will look again and if I do not find them will then contact her.
      Thank you for your suggestion,
      Martha

      Delete
  3. Martha, the stockings are beautiful (how can you even see to do the stitching that small?). I don't wonder you are nervous about discoloration with fray check. Have a look at these instructions on Janet Granger's site:
    http://www.janetgranger.co.uk/tut_stockings.htm

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia,
      Thank you - this is very helpful and now it is probably how I will finish these stockings. I have actually stitched a number of Janet's rug kits over the years but had not done any of her gauze kits like the stockings. Having just looked at the rest of her site again, I think that I might order a Christmas tree mat!
      Martha

      Delete
  4. Hallo, firts of all:gorgeous work
    Then.... this is the way I do it:just like the real thing.
    I sew the gauze back to back with the chosen fabric, then I cut with a seam of 3/4 mm and I carefully smear a very thin layer of white glue between the two fabrics, just like jam in a sandwich. When it is dried I cut the fabric as close to the stitching as I dare and turn it outside just like you'd do with a real size one.
    Never had any problem either of fraying or discolouring.
    Have a nice day,Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosanna,
      Happy New Year!
      Thank you - I will try your method first as you do this so beautifully. The cutting part is what makes me nervous! I am curious about the top opening of the stocking - would you fold it over first and do a binding stitch or just tack it in place?
      Martha

      Delete
  5. Hi Martha,
    Great work! You did a really fantastic job at these and thank you once again, i will be going to check out www.micro-stitchery.com.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete