Friday, 9 November 2012

Stained Glass Class with Barbara Sabia

This past weekend at the Philadelphia Miniaturia show in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, I had the opportunity to take a class with Barbara Sabia.  I have always wanted to take one of her classes because I would like to make windows for a future project that I have on my "to do" list.
Barbara is a very generous teacher and readily shares her years of experience with her students.  As this was a small class ( because of the huge storm), we were all able to do a different firescreen panel which made it quite fun!  Barbara had the designs printed for us and explained the process of cutting and applying the real lead tape.
We all learned to cut the lead tape and attempted to cut them all evenly - not easy!
Barbara explained the method of determining which short pieces to lay first and the ones that should have a continuous line.  It is something that must come with experience but as I worked on my pattern, it became a little more clear to me which order to lay the lines.


Once we finished one side, we then turned it over and lay the identical pattern on the other side.  Barbara did our outer edge quickly and evenly for all of us.
Barbara mixes her gallery paints to achieve the colours that she wants for her pieces.  We all had a chance to mix our own slowly to avoid air bubbles.  My finished piece has a few air bubbles!
Barbara showed us various techniques to apply the paint to achieve texture as well as how to use the same colour to achieve various shades of the same colour.
Painting my firescreen...
My first finished piece of miniature stained glass.   I thoroughly enjoyed the day and am quite happy with my result.   The day went by rather quickly and we were all able to complete our projects.  I am looking forward to doing a project of my own and will improve on the tiny mistakes made in this first attempt at this craft!  Barbara makes it look so easy but her experience shines through in her work!
It can be seen on my other blog in the post "Glorious Glass" at www.exquisiteminiatures.blogspot.com
Next post - my class with Nell Corkin!




 
 
 
 
 






8 comments:

  1. Hello Martha,

    I am so glad you had fun at Philly :-) I wish that I could have taken Barbara's workshop…miniature stained glass has always been on my "must try that, someday" list.

    Thanks for sharing such great photos…Your fire screen looks wonderful.

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      Definitely a class that you would enjoy!
      Martha

      Delete
  2. Hi Martha,

    Your fire screen is beautiful. I love stained glass and hope to have miniature stained glass in my collection so this is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lillea,
      Thanks, Barbara makes it seems easy!
      Martha

      Delete
  3. VERY, VERY INTERESTING. I BELIEVE THAT ALONE will try to do. I HAVE FOLLOWED BY A LITTLE WORKSHOP they used VERNIVI FOR THOSE vitrify OF THE CANVAS PAINTINGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blanche,
      You should definitely try it!
      Martha

      Delete
  4. Hello Martha,
    Fantastic work. Your screen came out just beautiful! Thank you for talking about the technique and for the pictures. I plan on using the lead tape technique on The Manor and it's great to see it being done. What a great class that must have been.
    Keep up the great work.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giac,
    I will look forward to seeing some amazing glass panels from you!
    Hugs,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete